α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ Ν Ξ Ο Π Ρ C Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω Ἷ Schließen Bewegen ?
Altgriechisch Wörterbuch - Forum
Ein Vater verhört seine Tochter #3 (353 Aufrufe)
Γραικύλος schrieb am 21.04.2021 um 00:03 Uhr (Zitieren)
“It would mean the danger of your losing your authority,” I said. “It would mean civil war again.”
“Yes,” my father said. “And it would mean more than that. It would mean your death. Almost certainly, it would mean your death. And I am not sure that even I would have the power to prevent that. It would be a matter for the Senate, and I could not interfere.”
“Then I am lost,” I said.
“Yes,” my father said, “but you are not dead. I could not endure knowing that I had allowed you to die before your time. You will not be tried for treason. I have composed a letter which I shall read to the Senate. You will be charged under my law of the crime of adultery, and you will be ex-iled from the city and provinces of Rome. It is the only way. It is the only way to save you and Rome.” He smiled a little, though I could see that his eyes were moist. “Do you remember, I used to call you my Little Rome?”
“Yes,” I said.
“And now it seems that I was right. The fate of one may be the fate of the other.”
“Jullus Antonius,” I said. “What will become of Jullus Antonius?”
He touched my hand again. “My child,” he said, “Jullus Antonius is dead. He took his life this morning, when he learned beyond doubt that the plot was discovered.”
I could not speak. At last I said, “I had hoped ... I had hoped ...”
“I shall not see you again,” my father said. “I shall not see you again.”
“It does not matter,” I said.
He looked at met once more. Tears came into his eyes, and he turned away. In a few moments the guards entered the room and took me away.
I have not seen my father since. I understand that he will not speak my name.

In the news that I received from Rome this morning was the information that after all these years Tiberius has returned from Rhodes and is now in Rome. He has been adopted by my father. If he does not die, he will succeed my father, and become the Emperor.
Tiberius has won.
I shall write no more.

(John Williams, Augustus. London 2003, pp. 269-272)

Ich bezweifle, daß der "Nesiarch" Tiberius in seinem selbstgewählten Exil auf Rhodos solche weitreichenden Einflußmöglichkeiten hatte.

Antwort
Titel:
Name:
E-Mail:
Eintrag:
Spamschutz - klicken Sie auf folgendes Bild: Pfau

Aktivieren Sie JavaScript, falls Sie kein Bild auswählen können.