α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ Ν Ξ Ο Π Ρ C Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω Ἷ Schließen Bewegen ?
Altgriechisch Wörterbuch - Forum
Es ist in aller Munde, aber ... (682 Aufrufe)
Γραικίσκος schrieb am 24.01.2012 um 20:10 Uhr (Zitieren)
... was bedeutet eigentlich die Abkürzung "O.K."?
Re: Es ist in aller Munde, aber ...
διψαλέος schrieb am 24.01.2012 um 21:09 Uhr (Zitieren)
angeblich soll das von Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben stammen.
Da er schlecht Englisch sprach und schrieb,
setzte er unter die Berichte das phonetisch geschriebene
"oll Korrekt" (für "alles in Ordnung"),
bzw. die Abk. "o.K."
(so hat uns das mal unser Englischlehrer erklärt)
;-)
ανδρέας schrieb am 24.01.2012 um 21:13 Uhr (Zitieren)

Man weiß es nicht. Ich habe gehört, Steuben (der Revolutionshelfer aus Deutschland), soll "oll korrekt" geschrieben haben, weil er der engl. Sprache nicht wirklich mächtig war und den Ausdruck phonetisch ins Deutsche übertrug. Ein Kontrollmitarbeiter in einer U.S.-Fabrik soll mit seinen Initialen die Fehlerfreiheit des Produkts gekennzeichnet haben - er hieß angeblich Otto Krause (tststs) und war (merkwürdig) auch aus Deutschland. Es gibt wohl keine Möglichkeit, den Ursprung zu ermitteln. Latein dürfte es nicht sein ...
Σαπφώ schrieb am 25.01.2012 um 00:48 Uhr (Zitieren)
Das OED sagt dazu folgendes:

OK, adj., int.1, n.2, and adv.

Pronunciation: Brit. /(ˌ)əʊˈkeɪ/ , U.S. /ˈoʊˈkeɪ/
Forms:

α. 18– O.K., 18– OK, 18– o.k., 19– ok.

β. 18– okay, 19– okeh, 19– okey.
Etymology: Apparently < the initial letters of oll (or orl ) korrect , jocular alteration of ‘all correct’: see A. W. Read in Amer. Speech (1963) 38, (1964) 39, etc.

From the detailed evidence provided by A. W. Read it seems clear that O.K. first appeared in 1839 (an instance of a contemporary vogue for humorous abbreviations of this type), and that in 1840 it became greatly reinforced by association with the initialism O.K. n.1, O.K. int.2 (see discussion at that entry).

Other suggestions, e.g. that O.K . represents an alleged Choctaw word oke ‘it is’ (actually the affirmative verbal suffix -okii ‘indeed, contrary to your supposition’), or French au quai , or Scottish English och aye , or that it derives from a word in the West African language Wolof via slaves in the southern States of America, all lack any form of acceptable documentation.

Competing theories as to the origin of the expression have been in evidence almost since its first appearance; compare:
1840 Lexington Intelligencer 9 Oct. 3/2 O.K. Perhaps no two letters have ever been made the initials of as many words as O.K.‥ When first used they were said to mean Out of Kash, (cash;) more recently they have been made to stand for Oll Korrect, Oll Koming, Oll Konfirmed, &c. &c.

It is not clear whether the ok of the following quotation represents the same expression:
1815 W. Richardson Diary 21 Feb., Arrived at Princeton, a handsome little village, 15 miles from N Brunswick, ok & at Trenton, where we dined.

In form okeh (as used by Dr. Woodrow Wilson: see quot. 1919 at sense A. 1β. ) on the understanding that the word represents an alleged Choctaw word oke (see above).

(Show Less)
colloq. (orig. U.S.).
A. adj.

1. All correct, all right; satisfactory, good; well, in good health or order. In early use, occas. more intensively: outstanding, excellent. Now freq. in somewhat weakened sense: adequate, acceptable. OK by (someone): fine by (a person), acceptable to (a person). Chiefly predicative.
α.
1839 C. G. Greene in Boston Morning Post 23 Mar. 2/2 He‥would have the ‘contribution box’, et ceteras, o.k.—all correct—and cause the corks to fly, like sparks, upward.
1839 Salem Gaz. 12 Apr. 2/3 The house was O.K. at the last concert, and did credit to the musical taste of the young ladies and gents.
1839 Boston Evening Transcript 11 Oct. 2/3 Our Bank Directors have not thought it worth their while to call a meeting, even for consultation, on the subject. It is O.K. (all correct) in this quarter.
1840 Atlas (Boston) 19 Aug. 2/4 These initials, according to Jack Downing, were first used by Gen. Jackson. ‘Those papers, Amos [Kendall], are all correct. I have marked them O.K.’ (oll korrect). The Gen. was never good at spelling.
1840 Morning Herald (N.Y.) 21 Apr. 2/4 The Brigadier‥reviewed his Brigade‥and pronounced every thing O.K.
1843 J. S. Robb Streaks of Squatter Life 72 His express reported himself‥, assured Allen that all was O.K., and received his dollar.
1864 Boy's Own Mag. Nov. 450/1 No thought of taking the trouble to find out whether the order was O.K., or ‘orl korrect’, as Sir William Curtis phrased it.
1865 W. H. Russell Atlantic Telegr. 61 The communication with shore continued to improve, and was, in the language of telegraphers, O.K.
1874 E. S. Phelps Trotty's Wedding Tour xiii. 133 We had an O.K. time till we went to bed.
1894 C. H. W. Donovan With Wilson in Matabeleland xi. 253 As our American friends would say, we were still ‘O.K.’
1900 Law Times 10 Nov. 35/2 The State Court seems to have decided that when a lawyer marks such a decree O.K., he is, by so doing, estopped from questioning that decree by appeal.
1908 C. E. Mulford Orphan xiii. 160 He's an O.K. dog, that's what he is.
1922 D. H. Lawrence England, my England 101 At first Joe thought the job O.K.
1928 Z. N. Hurston Let. 15 Oct. in Life in Lett. (2002) 127 Things are ok by me. How is it with you?
1937 D. L. Sayers Busman's Honeymoon viii. 148 ‘I say, Mr. Superintendent, are you going to want me any more? I've got to get back to Town.’ ‘That's O.K. We've got your address.’
1940 ‘N. Blake’ Malice in Wonderland i. ii. 20 Anything that was efficiently organised was O.K. by Paul Perry.
1959 F. Astaire Steps in Time (1960) viii. 66 Some were outstanding—this one was not, but it was o.k.
1977 Zigzag June 31/1 We could have had a great album, rather than an OK album.
1983 B. Willis & A. Lee Captain's Diary vi. 111, I lay there in something of a trance,‥just praying that I will be OK to bowl tomorrow.
2000 M. Barrowcliffe Girlfriend 44 xi. 297 Talking until the greasy spoons open is OK by me, if I'm with a group of blokes, but it seems rather a waste of resources when with such a pretty girl.
β.
1895 Bulletin (Sydney) 9 Feb. 15 I'm ryebuck and the girl's okay.
1919 H. L. Mencken Amer. Lang. 161 Dr. Woodrow Wilson is said‥to use okeh in endorsing government papers.
1932 Sunday Express 3 July 9/6, I had given my hand to the comedian and heard him say: ‘Hold on, baby.‥ Hold on. It's okay. You're going to be fine.’
1934 N. Sainsbury Gridiron Grit xii. 142 Okay by me.
1953 J. Y. Cousteau Silent World 91 Tailliez came up and reported, ‘Everything okay. They're playing chess.’
1979 Washington Post 25 Dec. b1/3 A lot of what we get is coming out of guilt, idealism and pity of suburban people, and I suppose that's okay. But it is better if the giving comes out of a relationship.
1989 Japan Times 21 May 3/6 He looks good, stable.‥ He will be okay.
2000 Feng Shui for Mod. Living May 63/1 Let's take three restaurants in a short parade of shops, all pretty unprepossessing, all have okay chefs‥okay menus‥okay decor.
Σαπφώ schrieb am 25.01.2012 um 00:49 Uhr (Zitieren)
Ich hätt euch auch den Link gegeben, aber ihr könnt ohne Abonnement nicht auf die Seite zugreifen.
Γραικίσκος schrieb am 25.01.2012 um 14:08 Uhr (Zitieren)
O.K.
Εὐφροσύνη schrieb am 25.01.2012 um 16:40 Uhr (Zitieren)
Mein Lateinlehrer sagte immer: "'OK' steht für 'omnia clara' - 'alles klar', aber die Engländer konnten schlecht Latein und dachten, dass das mit 'k' geschrieben wird..."
ανδρέας schrieb am 25.01.2012 um 19:16 Uhr (Zitieren)
Hierm ist ein Liste, die alle möglichen Interpretationen systematisch darstellt. Freie Auswahl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_proposed_etymologies_of_OK

Antwort
Titel:
Name:
E-Mail:
Eintrag:
Spamschutz - klicken Sie auf folgendes Bild: kapitolinische Wölfin

Aktivieren Sie JavaScript, falls Sie kein Bild auswählen können.