α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ Ν Ξ Ο Π Ρ C Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω Ἷ Schließen Bewegen ?
Altgriechisch Wörterbuch - Forum
Epiktet und Seneca (740 Aufrufe)
Φιλομαθής schrieb am 06.05.2014 um 17:54 Uhr (Zitieren)
Walter Savage Landor, in dem Rudolf Borchardt den "letzten großen lateinischen Dichter Europas" ausmachte, hat in seinen Imaginary Conversations auch eine Begegnung Epiktets mit Seneca fingiert.

Das Gespräch ist erkennbar asymmetrisch angelegt. Der Freimütigkeit Epiktets, der gleich eingangs signalisiert, dass er nur von Mensch zu Mensch, nicht von Sklave zu Ritter sprechen werde, hat weder die gebildete Diktion noch das rhetorische Pathos eines Seneca etwas entgegenzusetzen.

In der Konstellation mag man einen Rückgriff auf die römische Komödie mit ihren souverän auftretenden Sklaven (oder auch den Äsop-Roman), in dem pointierten Stil eine Ankündigung des wildeschen Dialogs erkennen.

Ein Auszug:

Epictetus. Crates and Zeno and Cleanthes taught us that our desires were to be subdued by philosophy alone. In this city [Rome], their acute and inventive scholars take us aside, and show us that there is not only one way, but two.

Seneca. Two ways?

Epictetus. They whisper in our ear, ‘These two ways are philosophy and enjoyment: the wiser man will take the readier, or, not finding it, the alternative.’ Thou reddenest.

Seneca. Monstrous degeneracy.

Epictetus. What magnificent rings! I did not notice them until thou liftedst up thy hands to heaven, in detestation of such effeminacy and impudence.

Seneca. The rings are not amiss; my rank rivets them upon my fingers: I am forced to wear them. Our emperor gave me one, Epaphroditus another, Tigellinus the third. I cannot lay them aside a single day, for fear of offending the gods, and those whom they love the most worthily.

Epictetus. Although they make thee stretch out thy fingers, like the arms and legs of one of us slaves upon a cross.

Seneca. Oh, horrible! Find some other resemblance.

Epictetus. The extremities of a fig-leaf.

Seneca. Ignoble!

Epictetus. The claws of a toad, trodden on or stoned.

Seneca. You have great need, Epictetus, of an instructor in eloquence and rhetoric: you want topics, and tropes, and figures.

Epictetus. I have no room for them. They make such a buzz in the house, a man’s own wife cannot understand what he says to her.

Seneca. Let us reason a little upon style. I would set you right, and remove from before you the prejudices of a somewhat rustic education. We may adorn the simplicity of the wisest.

Epictetus. Thou canst not adorn simplicity. What is naked or defective is susceptible of decoration: what is decorated is simplicity no longer. Thou mayest give another thing in exchange for it; but if thou wert master of it, thou wouldst preserve it inviolate. It is no wonder that we mortals, little able as we are to see truth, should be less able to express it.

Seneca. You have formed at present no idea of style.

Epictetus. I never think about it. First, I consider whether what I am about to say is true; then, whether I can say it with brevity, in such a manner as that others shall see it as clearly as I do in the light of truth; for, if they survey it as an ingenuity, my desire is ungratified, my duty unfulfilled. I go not with those who dance round the image of Truth, less out of honour to her than to display their agility and address.

Seneca. We must attract the attention of readers by novelty, and force, and grandeur of expression.

Epictetus. We must. Nothing is so grand as truth, nothing so forcible, nothing so novel.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21628/21628-h/21628-h.htm#EPICTETUS_AND_SENECA
Re: Epiktet und Seneca
Γραικίσκος schrieb am 07.05.2014 um 16:22 Uhr (Zitieren)
Epiktets letzter Satz ist groß. Hoffen wir, daß er auch wahr ist.
Φιλομαθής schrieb am 10.05.2014 um 19:27 Uhr (Zitieren)
Man begegnet der Wahrheit heutzutage wohl mit größerer Skepsis als zu Landors Zeiten, spricht lieber von Wahrheiten als von Wahrheit. Immerhin bestehen doch noch Gewissheiten (wie die der eigenen Sterblichkeit), die uns auf immer neue Weise bewusst und drängend werden können.

Nicht recht klar ist mir bei dem Text oben, wie ich den Vergleich der durch die Ringe gespreizten Finger mit einem Feigenblatt deuten soll.
filix schrieb am 11.05.2014 um 09:54 Uhr (Zitieren)

Nicht recht klar ist mir bei dem Text oben, wie ich den Vergleich der durch die Ringe gespreizten Finger mit einem Feigenblatt deuten soll.

Nun, das Feigenblatt ähnelt dem, was es bedeckt - https://www.bdk.de/lv/bka/presse/das-feigenblatt-der-zentrumisierung/image
filix schrieb am 11.05.2014 um 09:55 Uhr (Zitieren)
Besser gesagt: dem, was den es ...
Φιλομαθής schrieb am 11.05.2014 um 13:37 Uhr (Zitieren)
Ja, das Foto macht die sexuelle Symbolkraft des Feigenblatts, die ihm offenbar auch Tertullian ansah, wenn er vom ante Christum caro ... de ficulneis foliis pruriginem retinens und von lasciviae frondes (de pud. 6) spricht, unmittelbar anschaulich.

Allerdings scheinen die beiden anderen Vergleiche (gekreuzigter Sklave, zertretene Kröte) auf einen gewaltsamen Tod anzuspielen und Senecas Ende zu prophezeien. Ich frage mich daher, ob man das Bild vom Feigenblatt auch in diese Richtung deuten kann.

Antwort
Titel:
Name:
E-Mail:
Eintrag:
Spamschutz - klicken Sie auf folgendes Bild: Münze

Aktivieren Sie JavaScript, falls Sie kein Bild auswählen können.