α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω Α Β Γ Δ Ε Ζ Η Θ Ι Κ Λ Μ Ν Ξ Ο Π Ρ C Σ Τ Υ Φ Χ Ψ Ω Ἷ Schließen Bewegen ?
Altgriechisch Wörterbuch - Forum
Ein Vater verhört seine Tochter #2 (347 Aufrufe)
Γραικύλος schrieb am 21.04.2021 um 00:00 Uhr (Zitieren)
“Had you read those documents carefully,” my father said, “you would know that there is a conspiracy against the government of Rome, and that the first step of that conspiracy is the murder of your husband, Tiberius Claudius Nero.” I did not speak.
“Did you know of this conspiracy?”
“Not a conspiracy,” I said. “No. There was no conspiracy.”
“Did you speak to any of these – friends of yours about Tiberius?”
“No,” I said. “Perhaps in passing. It was no secret that –“
“That you hated him?”
I was silent for a moment. “That I hated him,” I said.
“Did you speak of his death?”
“No,” I said. “Not in the way you mean. Perhaps I said –“
“To Jullus Antonius?” my father asked. “What did you say to Jullus Antonius?”
I heard my voice tremble. I stiffened my body, and said as clearly as I could: “Jullus Antonius and I wish to marry. We have talked of marriage. It is possible that in talking of that I spoke wishfully of Tiberius’s death. You would not have given your consent for a divorce.”
“No,” he said sadly, “I would not.”
“Only that,” I said. “I said only that.”
“You are the Emperor’s daughter,” my father said; and he was silent for a moment. Then he said: “Sit down, my child,” and motioned me toward the couch beside his desk.
“There is a conspiracy,” he said. “There is no doubt of that. Your friends, whom I have named; and others. And you are involved. I do not know the extent and nature of your guilt, but you are involved.”
“Jullus Antonius,” I said. “Where is Jullus Antonius?”
“That will wait,” he said. And then he said: “Did you know that there was also an attempt to be made on my life, after the death of Tiberius?”
“No,” I said. “That cannot be true. It cannot be.”
“It is true,” my father said. “I should hope that they would not have let you know, that they would have made it appear an accident, or illness, or something of that sort. But it would have happened.”
“I did not know,” I said. “You must believe that I did not know.”
He touched my hand. “I hope you never knew of that. You are my daughter.”
“Jullus –“ I said.
He raised his hand. “Wait. ... If I were the only one who had this knowledge, the matter would be simple. I could suppress it, and take my own measures. But I am not the only one. Your husband –“ He said the word as if it were an obscenity. “Your husband knows as much as I do – perhaps more. He has had a spy in the household of Jullus Antonius, and he has been kept informed. It is Tiberius’s plan to expose the plot in the Senate, and to have his representatives there press for a trial. It will be a trial for high treason. And he plans to raise an army and return to Rome, to protect my person and the Roman government against its enemies. And you know what that would mean.”

(John Williams: Augustus. London 2003, pp. 269-272)

Antwort
Titel:
Name:
E-Mail:
Eintrag:
Spamschutz - klicken Sie auf folgendes Bild: Akropolis (Athen)

Aktivieren Sie JavaScript, falls Sie kein Bild auswählen können.